Thursday 20 September 2012

Celtic v Benfica

If Wednesday night taught me anything, it's how much I've missed Champions league football at Celtic Park. The atmosphere on a European night has been recognised by greats such as Oliver Khan, Xavi & Ronaldo, and they played in their fair share of big games!
The game showed me how much this young Celtic team have matured. It was a very professional performance, but lacked a cutting edge.
Celtic dominated in possession, but couldn't make a chance of any kind. Benfica were tough to break down, and seemed happy to take the draw.
For me, Scott Brown was exceptional, if not his best game in a Celtic shirt. Still not 100%, but everywhere on the park, bossed the midfield. He even received praise via Kyle Bartley on Twitter. Who would've thought eh?
I was VERY pleased to see the goalkeeping coach of a certain international side present to watch Fraser Forster. He was unlucky to be overlooked for the Euro's. In a way, it's almost a shame Forster didn't have much of a chance to impress, but at least he's on Hodgson's radar now, and rightfully so.
I was strangely calm about the back four. It's not often I see Lustig & Wilson playing centre half, and be happy with it, but I felt both have been fairly solid this season, despite still dividing the opinions of the Celtic fans.
A question: Emilio Izaguirre, what's changed? He's a shadow of the player he was before the injury that kept him out most of last season. Why? He's had a full pre season and played almost every game in this so far, so why hasn't he found the same form he did when he first came to Scotland? My only excuse I can make for him is that he needs time, but exactly how much time can we give him?
Next up, Victor Wanyama. Bullies the SPL, never seems to have a bad game, one of Celtic's best players. I've controversially said that he's destined for the top, and I mean the very top, but ask yourself why not? Bullied Benfica, and look at his attributes. He can pass, dribble, shoot, attack, defend and he's only 21! Even Bobo Balde would be scared of this guy. Now Manchester United & Arsenal were viewing his progress, and he can be a very good player for them. It's just a case of the right time to leave Celtic, and he can still learn & improve here, so that time is not now.
A major let down for me however, was James Forrest. I love how direct James Forrest is, always causing defenders problems. but he failed to deliver for me. In an attacking sense, he struggled to get into the game, and 99% of the time the Benfica defence dealt with him comfortably. He wanted to play as a winger in a system that relied on a flat midfield, leaving Adam Matthews exposed too often. Matthews dealt with this very well though.
I did see James Forrest receive criticism for a 'dive'. Let's be serious, it wasn't a dive. It wasn't a penalty, he's tripped.
I've reserved judgement on new Bhoy Miku. Hooper would have started if he had been fully fit, and Miku had a very hard role to play. Can't praise him, but would be harsh to criticise.
Remember guys, this Celtic team had 12 Champions League debutants in the team. We also had Ledley, Samaras, Stokes and Kayal all out injured, so there are plenty positives to take from the game.

My MOTM: Scott Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment